Monday, March 24, 2014

Rip Van Winkle awakes? Or just yawns again... time will tell

I confess that I have not ridden a motorcycle since the mid '80s, but decided on Sunday to go wander about at the Idaho Vintage Motorcycle Club show in Caldwell. 

Way back in the 70s the club was formed by Richard Renstrom (member #1), myself (Member #2), and Gary South (member #3).  There were many good times, to be sure, but after divorce and leaving the area, and Gary moved away, my interest turned to other things. The Vincent got packed up when I moved and has remained in crates and boxes since 1985.

I will say I enjoyed the Caldwell show.  Especially fun was to show my blushing bride many examples of rides I used to own, still own, or gave up hoping to ever own (not to mention, wished I had never owned).  Most of the machines I have owned were well represented, from a Harley Hummer to three Suzuki Water Buffaloes, Triumph Tiger Cub to Vincent Rapide (a very nice example at that!). There were no Suzuki X6 Hustlers, presumably they all smoked themselves to death before 1970 or so...

So a promise was made to at a minimum drag out the old Matchbox for next year's show; my former daily ride that has been accumulating garage dust for 30 years. But more to the point, the long postponed re-assembly of the Vincent project has had some life breathed into it. Honestly, prudence indicates that the time has come to hang the for-sale sign on the Vincent, but certainly one that is assembled would be worth more than one in a set of boxes (although the latter is certainly easier to ship!).  Certainly nicer to look at!

No comments: